Radio Controlled Vehicle Basics
From Michael James, former About.com Guide
What are RCs?
Scale model cars, trucks, and other vehicles that are controlled by a hand-held controller that sends radio signals to the vehicle are Radio Controlled Vehicles. In addition to radio controlled, RC vehicles can be remote controlled or infrared.
- RC: Radio Control vs. Remote Control
- What Are Radio Controlled Vehicles?
- Understanding RC Sizes
- How Infrared RCs Work
- RC Vehicles Glossary
Types of RC Vehicles
Explore the many variations there are to the world of radio controlled vehicles. Select which route you wish to take -- toy, hobby, electric, nitro, or gas. From planes, boats, cars, and trucks to military and alien spacecraft, there are many types of RC vehicles from which to choose.
- RC Airplane Basics
- RC Boat Basics
- RC Construction Vehicles Basics
- RC Submarine Basics
- RC Tanks Basics
- Animatronics Intro
Key Parts of an RC Vehicle
Understanding the various parts of an RC can help you make better choices when buying and owning any type of RC vehicle.
- Inside a Typical RC Toy Truck
- Inside a Typical RC Toy Transmitter
- RC Antenna Basics
- RC Tires and Wheels
- RC Suspension and Shocks
Operating an RC
Before you drive, fly, or put an RC in the water you need to understand the basics of radio systems, batteries, and getting an RC started. Then you'll need to learn how to drive an RC, fly a plane or helicopter, and do it safely.
- Choosing Toy RC Frequencies
- List of Allowed U.S. Frequencies for Toy and Hobby RC Vehicles
- DSM (Crystal-Free) Radio Systems
- LiPo Battery Safety
- How Fast Do RC Cars Really Go?
- How to Start a Nitro Engine
- How to Adjust RC Airplane Trim
- How to Fly RC Helicopters
- Helicopter Games For Fun and Education
- Learn to Fly With RC Flight Simulators
- Practice Safe RC Operation
- Where to Fly Indoor RC Airplanes
- How Fast Are Indoor RC Airplanes?
- Test Yourself: Take the After-Run Maintenance Quiz
You don't have to join a club to enjoy the RC hobby but it can add a new dimension to your enjoyment of radio controlled vehicles. There's also an active online community of RC enthusiasts ready to help you get the most out of your RC ownership.