The Tamiya Tractor Truck series of radio controlled big rigs are available as unassembled kits. You have to build them yourself.It takes a lot of time and patience so these kits are not really for beginners. But if you know and love the big trucks like I do and you have some scale model-building experience the Tamiya Tractor Trucks are great examples of radio controlled trailer trucks.
Specs and What's In The Tamiya Kit:
- Scale: 1:14
- Length: 23.62 inches (600mm)
- Width: 7.20 inches (183mm)
- Wheelbase: 17.60 inches (447mm)
- Weight: 6.17 lbs. (2800g)
- Chassis: Aluminum ladder
- Suspension: Solid Axle
- Damper Type: Metal friction (leaf spring setup, how cool is that?)
- Drive Train: Gearbox (3-speed)
- Differential Type: Bevel Gear
- Engine: Electric 540 (which is standard in many stock 1:10 and 1:12 scale RCs)
- Wheels & Tires: Chrome/Radial
King Hauler Semi
Watch this Video of a Tamiya King Hauler With Boat Trailer
Other models include the Globe Liner, Volvo FH12 Globetrotter, Knight Hauler, and the Scania R470 Highline.
Radio Systems and Other Parts You'll Need:
Tamiya Semi Trailers:
Trailer types include a 3-axled reefer semi-trailer, collapsible pole trailer (with poles), wood-floored flatbed semi-trailer, and a tank semi-trailer with a polished stainless steel tank.
Shop for some of the Tamiya Semi Trailers
3 Axle Reefer Semi Trailer Kit
Tamiya RC Tractor Truck Upgrades:
Some upgrades offered by Tamiya are for specific models only but mostly they are for all the Tamiya big rigs.
- Tractor truck electrical unit set
- Tractor truck oil shocks
- Roof spoiler
- Animal guard
- Telescopic antenna
- Truck aluminum front wheels (1 pair)
- Truck aluminum rear wheels (1 pair)
- Tractor truck sound effects set
Look at the detailing, see the lights, and listen to the realistic sounds in this video of a Tamiya Knight Hauler with Werner Enterprises Detail.
Watch the movements and hear the engine and coupling sounds in this video of the Tamiya Knight Hauler with a loaded Lowbed Trailer.
See how well this rig maneuvers obstacles in this video of a Tamiya King Hauler with Two Trailers.